Sunday 8 November 2009

When Life and Dreams Merge


I don't know about you, but I've been pestered by dreams of flying ... for years ... and years.

Usually it goes like this - I run along the ground to gather speed, and then, slowly, spread my arms and take to the air. No flapping seems to be required - I just have to keep the arms out.

And then, after a suitable period, I say to myself 'This is not a dream - I really am flying!'.

At this point, things usually go either of two ways - elation as I continue ever upwards, or dismay as the very words themselves seem to bring me crashing down. No Freudian interpretations, please!

Yesterday I sensed a way out of this life-long dilemma, while watching the video below - all I need to do is get onto the NASA program as an astronaut! I guess anything is possible ... and, as you must have understood by now, my need is great!


For a bit of variation on the flying thing, I could do mid-air hovering - it'd would work for me ...


Other fun extras would be sleeping standing up ... though, come to think of it, this might not be quite as exciting as flying or hovering ...


Where lifting heavy objects with a single finger would be ...


... and would also satisfy any latent superman fantasies.

Water sports could be high on my 'to do' list' ...



Anyway, here's the video that inspired all these ruminations ...



... cool, eh?

7 comments:

  1. hey wit

    your comment seems to have disappeared - so i've added it here from the email copy:

    "I've read that dreams of flying are often had by people who feel content with there lives, complete control, and happy. wit"

    and thanks for the comforting interpretation - not sure why i imagined it to mean something negative - but i'm certain your idea is right!

    cya, nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,
    For decades I used to have frequent flying dreams. I would just (in the dream) decide it was time to fly and give a little hop and take off. My hands were always straight in front of me, a la Superman style, I could fly as long as I wanted to.

    Then they stopped.

    I miss them. There was such a sense of peace to flying, mixed with a bit of exhilaration. Sigh. Maybe in my next life I could come back as an astronaut. Or Superman (as in the movie, not as in Nietzsche).

    ReplyDelete
  3. With enough money you can pay for the opportunity to experience weightlessness on a plane.

    http://www.gozerog.com/?gclid=CLH4stKW_J0CFc9h2godjAnqpA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kinda mixed reaction to this post, Nick.
    First I gotta say it would be a dream cum true for me to be out in space amongst the stars.
    But have to be just a tad bit frustrated with the "progress" (ok - lack of progress) that, at least to me, plagues NASA. We landed on the moon decades ago, but haven't done anything since then!

    BTW, have to say that the guy in the picture with the "water sports" is rather cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey paul

    mine stopped too - perhaps in my late teens - tho i've had a few reprises - in fact one not so long ago which i think prompted the post
    - the footage reminded me

    and you remind me i used to also to the hands-out-front take off and then flying position! another wave of pleasant memories has just flooded over me.

    my feeling were of achievement - finally to have done the thing i so longed to do - it always seemed metaphorical, even in the dream

    did you have a questioning of the 'reality' of the event in the dream a questioning?

    as much as anything else this was the predominant thing in each episode

    best, nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey alan

    thanks for the URL - i'll check it when i finish this to you

    there used to a ride at our local kids' fun park - called 'the rota'. u walked into a vertical drum and put your back to the wall. and the thing rotated. and you got more and more pushed agaist the wall.

    at a certain speed the floor dropped away perhaps 20 metres and the centrifugal force kept you where u were - not quite the same but caught something of the gravity defying experience of being in space.

    of course after a bit (or when the screams got too loud - and people did yell and carry on) the rotating slowed and u slowly oozed down the wall - not an altogether unpleasant feeling for some reason!

    best, nick

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey greg

    yeah, i know what u mean - i think the politicians think (if they do) that such spending won't fly these days, certainly in the current economic climate - excuse the pun

    i agree bout the water guy - if he loses his astronaut job i'm sure he'd get one quick enough at Corbin Fisher or Sean Cody or ... anywhere.

    cya, nick

    ReplyDelete