Friday 5 January 2007

Robert Ripley's 'Believe It Or Not!'

As a kid, I was for a time (oh yeah, not now?!) totally absorbed by Ripley's Believe It Or Not!. Among other things - promise!

Though initially a newspaper cartoon (from 1918 on), I came into contact with the Guru of the Unexpected in book form, being collections the cartoons, I now suspect - tho I was unaware of this at the time. The books I had were in a pen drawn format:


Though their style varied, according to the era:



I read and re-read these compendia till the pages were yellow with age. And in the end knew most of the detail by heart.

I'm a bit at a loss to know what it was about Ripley that took my fantasy - apart from the obvious. As I hit my teenage years, I became a bit embarassed by being the local expert of all things weird (tho wonderful). And finally, I think, I genuinely lost interest - or other stuff took over.

And then there was 'Life between Ripley and Now'.

Curiously, it was only recently I had any sense of scale of the early 'Believe It Or Not' phenomenon - when I saw the scale of the pavilion at the Chicago World Fair of 1933-4:


Of course no post about Ripley would be complete without a photo of the great man himself, titled, as you'd expect, 'Mr Robert Ripley and Friend':


By the way, all these photos of huge cocks are genuine:







Believe it or not!

2 comments:

  1. love your sense of humor, and how easily and graceful you can shift from "that" to "these", love them both

    ReplyDelete
  2. just get bored doing one thing or the other - nice to move about. thanks for the comment! appreciated.

    ReplyDelete