Friday 19 March 2010

Jessie Tait Ceramics


I'm sure it's far far too early to do another 50s ceramics post ... but couldn't we just say we're following through on a very important theme?

Cos I've just googled across Jessie Tait (1928-2010) ...


... and been bowled over by the output I've seen.

She died in January, so it could also be seen as a memoriam kinda thing, if further justification is needed.

Some of the designs that really grabbed my attention were ...




Left 'Quartic' shaped plate 'Nature Study' by Terence Conran. Right, a vase by Jessie Tait


If you feel like having your hair blown right back at the table as I do on occasion, how bout the aptly named Zambesi ...






Or for when you're feeling just a bit more restrained ...



For me and when I'm not Zambesi-ing my head off, it's Homemaker to start the day ...



... as I luckily discovered a large cache in a local second hand shop not so long ago. Not long after my Zambesi haul.

Jessie Tait's designs seem a bit less adventurous when compared with her Italian counter-parts. More controlled and regular. More conventionally elegant and with a higher production 'finish'.

The bio-bit is that Tait was a ceramic designer working in the Stoke-on-Trent pottery industry. She studied at the Burslem School of Art and initially assisted Charlotte Rhead as a junior designer. Spending most of her time with the Midwinter Pottery, which was taken over by J and G Meakin in 1968 and then by Wedgwood in 1970. She retired in the early 1990s.

10 comments:

  1. Nick, How lovely of you to invite us all over for lunch on the Zambesi collection. Great stuff! What food would most properly go on such marvelous things? Not an easy answer, I suspect. I look forward to see what you serve us...

    The pitcher in the first photo just cries out to be used as a martini shaker. I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ray's cowboy

    yeah, they are pretty great - for the ones i don't have, i just wanna reach through the screen and grab!

    cya, nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nick,
    My Mother had the teaset of the black pattern in the last pictures, is it "homemaker"? I always liked it. I think she only has some side plates left now. The vases are a delight.
    Kevin
    Egypt

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi paul

    i'm waiting by the door - table set!

    and you're right, this crockery needs to be laden down with very special food - i fancy some

    and i have exactly the right 'glasses' to catch the martini as it streams out of the pitcher - some sterling silver stewart devlin 60's goblets - it's going to be a pretty mad affaire!

    best, nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey paul

    yeah, homemaker - it's the quirky idea of putting all those 50s icons on the crockery that really makes it for me

    sadly my parents had pretty, in fact very, straight taste - not a 50s motif in sight!

    and i'm eBaying jessie tait vases as we 'speak'

    PS i'm zambesi-ing my morning coffee - the little red handle is a delight - just sets the cups off

    good to hear as usual, take care, nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Nick, those vases are as hot as the men you post on here. Now I have more than one reason to get hard when I "cum" to visit you! BIG thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey jay

    LOL - they are scorching aren't they!

    and curiously, hotter than some of the sex i've had!

    there it is!

    best, nick

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! Yes, I understand that. I know of a couple of times where I would have glady traded the sex for one of those vases!
    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey kev

    the comment to paul was in fatc for you:

    yeah, homemaker - it's the quirky idea of putting all those 50s icons on the crockery that really makes it for me

    sadly my parents had pretty, in fact very, straight taste - not a 50s motif in sight!

    and i'm eBaying jessie tait vases as we 'speak'

    PS i'm zambesi-ing my morning coffee - the little red handle is a delight - just sets the cups off

    good to hear as usual, take care, nick


    take care, nick

    ReplyDelete