Friday 14 December 2007

Angel Man


I don't quite understand why I find this image so very appealing.

It's no great photo. Lousy overall composition - has it been badly cropped? Pathetically small number of pixels so fuzzy and not in a good way. It goes on ... .

Partly what I like I guess is the pose of the guy. That contrapposto introduced by the Greeks into art, particularly sculpture - one leg straight and supporting, the other bent and relaxed ...

Polykleitos' 'Doryphoros' ('Spear carrier') Front - Marble Roman copy from Pompeii after a bronze Greek original ca. 450-40 B.C.


Polykleitos' 'Doryphoros' ('Spear carrier') Back - Marble Roman copy from Pompeii after a bronze Greek original ca. 450-40 B.C.

... which I played around with in the post 'Vintage Cuties: JO Dallesandro, Perseus and Poryphoros'.

I reckon my fixation has something to do with the tension between the soft fluffy wings and the firm luscious body. Between the spiritual and the erotic. I've seen a photograph of a young guy with gold wings - very hot but the feeling was not the same.

Now, there is the clearer back view ...


When this man-angel finds out where I live, breaks down the door and flies in, I'll probably ask him to keep the wings on while he forces me to have sex!

Postscript

The moment I posted about feathery angel-men I've started seeing them everywhere.

In photos of gay events ...




... for sale in catalogues (white and black)...



... and in 'X-Men The Last Stand' (with Ben Foster as Angel) ...





Guess I'd better just go out and get myself a pair - I feel seriously out of it!

3 comments:

  1. ...and he does have perfect legs. The kind you would find on a pedestal lasting for eternity; the kind we yearn to melt into and become one with.
    The ancient Greeks had a myth that explained the difference between the human back and front as a punishment imposed on man who, before he was separated into recto and verso, was a perfect whole.
    Fluffy wings, rounded calves, solid thigh backs are clues that I feel will never lead to a full
    revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watching 'The X-Men - The Last Stand' and saw a mutant as my second my second angel-man in two days. With beautiful white feathery wings! And a great face and bod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to admit that I fell for that angel-man in X-men the first time my eyes fell on him.
    And I love that angelic butt!

    ReplyDelete