Tuesday 11 November 2008

Canes, Corporal Punishment and Latin at School


I don't know what your views are on caning and corporal punishment - outside the bedroom that is!

Sadly (?) I'm a bit vanilla in this respect - so it's not going to be that kind of post!

Now you may well ask what this section of Virgil in the original Latin ...

Section of Virgil

... has to do with a caning situation at school.

Well, I remember we'd just declined a noun (I think it was in fact 'mensa' or table) ...


... chanting out the various forms in the approved monotone.

And had gone on to translate a passage from the account of Caesar's conquest of Gaulle (modern day France). When I had the irresistible urge to pass a note to a friend ... and did and did get caught ... by Mr Harwood!

The crooked finger had me quickly to his desk at the front of the class. Where I was informed that I was to be punished (no surprise) but that I could choose the kind I was to experience (surprise!).

Not just a little sadistically, I was then conducted to a little cupboard which, opened, revealed six canes - on hooks, in two rows - three in each! Mr Harwood then proceeded to name each and describe its physical characteristics ... along with the specific experience of being punished with it:

This is Mr Whippy - he's long and thin and ... stings!

Now this one is Mr Knobbly - he's fat and rigid so the pain is duller but is spread out over a wider area.

Etc

Curiously, I've quite forgotten the caning itself!

So let's turn to some happier Latin experiences:






Don't you think?

14 comments:

  1. Mr Harwood. Are you an Old Sydneian, Nick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where Be Blond Guys?

    Hugs, missed you while I was all out of my own PC and blog on. Altius & and Erect(i?)us and all that latin. I love me a living tongue for reasons that may pertain to the posted Latin I didn't relate to except by concentrating on small areas of the pic and virtually no words of the dead Thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey victor

    from Melbourne actually as was Mr (prob dead now) Harwood!

    and the scene of the crime:

    http://www.mgs.vic.edu.au/

    moved to sydney a few years back

    cya

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. foucauldian discipline and punish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want those plaid boxers.


    Alan down in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey alan

    plaid has always been a fav - even more so now for some reason!

    will get some URL's to you very soon

    the spencer and gabe vid is at:

    http://www.adrabboizbreakfast.com/2008/10/gabe-plows-spencer.html

    if that kinda thing interests you! LOL

    take care

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey mmonk

    the more the better?

    cya

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - you made me remember, yet again when I was a youngen, being spanked with the paddle in school and given the choice between having the teach hit my hand (ouch!) with it or having him/her spank my ole butt!! Talk about tough decisions!! lol

    I sure would love to be spanked, poked, and prodded with that cock of that first guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey greg

    bet you did an oliver twist when paddled on the butt:

    'please, can i have some more!'

    come on, confess - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey pete

    hugs and more hugs back

    and i love a living tongue too - but for perhaps altogether other reasons!

    glad that u aren't puterless now - a sad and sorry state for anyone

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arms and the man I sing! And that's about the beginning and the end of my Latin--and I wouldn't even know that much if it weren't for ninth-grade Vergil in translation.

    It's not a bad motto for some of us bloggers, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey keith

    think i did bout 4 years of it - i was at a very reactionary school - you were lucky to escape with less

    'arms and the man i sing' sounds like the title of a post - i'll get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking the same thing--if I ever do a post that concentrates on guys with fabulous biceps and shoulders! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. don't know why i haven't done more arms and shoulders posts - cos they are the things you grab onto first ... and should be memorable as a great beginning - if what follows is hot!

    ReplyDelete