Sunday 20 September 2009

Gradual Understanding of Sexuality

It seems to me that it's not often in life you find some whole new way of thinking about things.

One of these moments for me was when I first read E M Forster's 'Maurice'.

What struck me in the novel was the idea that you could move unconsciously and imperceptibly in a series of tiny shifts towards an understanding of something. Like the thing very slowly coming into focus. You are perhaps aware of strange stirrings below the surface but are not at all clear about their meanings. Or the meanings are working away at a sub-conscious level and it's only a series of events that edges them ever gradually into consciousness.

I guess up to this point in my life I imagined new ideas came in instantaneous illuminations.

In 'Maurice', this new-to-me process was in the central protagonist's gradual coming to awareness of his sexuality through a couple of friendships at college. With this process made more credible by the novelist having the character stolidly conventional and though at university not of the first rank of intelligence.

Something of the complexity here was scouted by Forster with respect to his own experience in his 'Terminal Note' to 'Maurice':

'George Merrill (Edward Carpenter's companion) also touched my backside—gently and just above the buttocks. . . . The sensation was unusual and I still remember it. . . . It was as much psychological as physical. It seemed to go straight through the small of my back into my ideas, without involving my thoughts'.

Well after the event and when I read 'Maurice', I used Forster's insight to understand an experience I'd had at school when I was 11 or 12.

I'd finished playing football and was back in the locker-room showering and the guy under the next faucet said his water had gone cold. He moved to get under my shower but I shoved him away, and quite violently.

At home and over the next days, I experienced ever-growing sensations of uncomfortable regret - things had begun working away at a level still not accessible to open thought.

Perhaps a week later, I contrived to offer to show Martin some underground storm water tunnels near where I lived - still not aware of what could happen.

We stood face-to-face in the semi-darkness, making awkward conversation. While I tried to imagine what could be next. Or what I wanted.

After a while it seemed it had to do with his dick.

I still recall the incalculably intense experience of first touching it through his trousers. The universe was suddenly reduced to just the sensation in my head and his hard-on.

I undid his belt and pulled his trousers down - feeling his fleshy muscular legs as I did. I held his dick - thick, small head, sweaty, and very hard. And then his balls - all tightened up in their furry sack against the base of his dick. A thick bush for our age.

He was passive throughout.

After about half an hour, I needed to be home for dinner.

At the table, I wondered if the experience with Martin showed on my face. And re-ran the whole thing in my mind. Over and over. And wondered if and when I'd be able to do it again.

We got together for about 10 years - occasionally for casual sex between and round relationships

Just sharing!

8 comments:

  1. Thank for reminding me of /Maurice/ -- it was a major milestone in my coming to terms with my own gayness.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey stan

    a love re-reading the novel - not that it's one of forster's greatest literary achievements but like you for it's personal meaning for my own gay sexual awakening

    take care

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, evocative post. Thank you.

    A wise shrink once told me that often the most significant personal insights seem to burst on us out of the blue, a sort of Damascus Road revelation but, in fact, they have been prepared for by lots of inner work that we don't see on the surface. He said it was like splitting a huge boulder with a sledge hammer. It looks like the blows are having no effect at all, but then suddenly a blow will split the boulder in two, because it's been cracking--unseen--from the inside out.

    I envy your experience with Martin. And the way you write about it. It still seems very alive today.

    Your wondering if the experience showed on your face as you sat at the dinner table that evening...a marvelous thing to remember. And an eternal question...how much shows? How changed am I by the experience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick, wish you'd shared your thoughts a couple of weeks ago - this was the first book of our gay book club for this season...thanks for your thoughts!
    Art

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey art

    lucky you having a reason to read the book and and a venue in which to chat about it!

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey paul

    glad my scribblings meaning something to anyone but myself - and i'm not just being modest here

    and you're right, some insights just 'appear'

    and sometime if i have a problem that mental cudgeling won't break i try to just let it work itself out - after a bit the way to go with it is clear - i think this is in fact what you are saying too - a machine metaphor for the mind is not sufficient

    writing about martin i was quite surprised how immediate the thing still was to me - thought i'd be scratching round in my head to find the experience and having great difficulty knowing whether what i was putting down was the past or some imagined version of it

    when i first when to uni a trillion years ago a friend gave me some acid and one remembrance was being able to see the whole personality realized on a face - or even a hand - of course this experience was chemically induced but seemed to me based on some kind of real life reality - the ordinary was just heightened

    best

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fascinating about your acid trip. "Being able to see the whole personality realized on a face - or even a hand." I can believe that...that there's so much knowledge we blind ourselves to (not consciously realizing we have). I suspect that's the basis for intuition, hunches, etc. How often one hears someone say, "I now realize I knew all along X or Y was true, but I didn't want to admit it." Or one has an absolutely certainty about something that seems to fly in the face of all available information.

    Our Western (especially U.S.) society is paranoid about drugs, and about any real awareness or insight into oneself. Such a shame that mindful, controlled, ritualized use of drugs is not a available to us as part of learning about oneself and the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey paul

    the thing that surprised me about acid trips was that the illusions were not something out there that you observed in calm contemplation - but somehow you were intermingled with your sense of yourself - which could be disturbing or not. a friend used to say 'juts look the other way' - and you were in some other reality - remote from any awkwardness just experienced - the distortion of time was quite extraordinary

    i remember that i 'saw' with all protective carapace stripped away - or imagined i did!

    whatever, i am very thankful for the experience

    ReplyDelete