Monday 26 April 2010

If You Need Somewhere to Go in Italy

Assisi at Dusk

If you happen to find yourself in Italy and you've just finished with Florence and are not sure where to go next .... the tiny walled hilltop Umbrian town of Assisi is definitely a plan.

And was our plan in the late 1990's and then again 2003.

Settled around 1000 BC and converted to Christianity by Bishop Rufino in 238 AD, Assisi of course is best known for St Francis and the order he founded there in 1208.

But best here is just wandering about, maybe with just a couple of essential tick-offs, such as the Church of St Francis with it's unbelievably moving (seriously!) Giotto frescos ...

Giotto 'St Francis - Sermon to the Birds' (1297-1299)

Giotto - 'Death of St Francis'

... and the church of St Clare on the main town square ...


... which is really important for being next to the shop that sells the most fabulously delicious chocolate in the entire known universe - nooooo kidding!

Santa Chiara in fact is still in residence but is now rather scary (and dusty and crumbly) in her gilt and glass box in the crypt. As I was contemplating the venerable remains, a black-habited nun popped out of absolutely no-where (for a donation) and scared at least six month's growth out of me. No kidding!

It's good to start the wandering about bit in that main square ...


... and then just let fantasy guide you ...







Detail jumps out in endless photo ops ...





The many views out of town ...




... will eventually lead you up to the ruined castle over-looking Assisi ...



Okay, I've now worked myself into a seriously nostalgic mood - only remedied I suspect ... by another trip to Assisi.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Nick
    Thanks for bringing back Assisi to me. Was there quite some time ago, a while after they had had an earthquake? and lots of things were boarded up - don't remember the chocolate shop...my loss...cheers, Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey art

    glad you liked a memory jog - assisi can be ok without the chocolate shop

    well, actually not sure about that last bit - i was in santa chiara's church and couldn't stop myself secretly eating some of THAT chocolate i'd just bought, much to the hissing dismay of the others present - shame on me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, your post has just made it official. My soul has just informed me, in no uncertain terms, that I have to leave my nets (as Jesus told his disciples in the New Testament) go live in Italy for a couple years (as Jesus did NOT tell his disciples in the New Testament).

    I think a small apartment with a balcony would be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey paul

    like so many have done, i bet you could find something in the new or old testament that specifically (though disguised) tells us to go to assisi and take a small apartment with a balcony if possible - i had small balcony in Seville in 2003 for watching the processions for Semana Santa

    good to hear as always

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there something in the old or new testament how to hypnotize any hot hunk I come across to have wild and passionate sex?
    Now THAT I would read! lol

    As for Italy, someday!!!!
    (when I win the lottery?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey greg

    yeah, i think it's in 'revelations' chapter 69

    and i'm out buying lottery tickets too - bank robbing is an option too - and i'm so keen to go right now it seems a pretty good option - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh yes, Revelations chapter 69 - why didn't I think of that?? lol

    And - I've been wasting (no - investing!!) money in the lottery a few times too. Don't think bank robbing (I jest, authorities who may be tapping into this riveting comment) will work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey greg

    how bout (blow) Job and Revelations?

    and yes u r right who knows who is looking these post-9/11 days

    take care bud, nick

    ReplyDelete