Thursday 26 July 2012


Nellie Melba and Repartee



We probably all know that Nellie Melba had a ribald sense of humour.

Apparently, she was once onboard ship with John Grainger, father of composer and wild eccentric Percy Grainger, who I’ll be posting on tomorrow.

The two travellers were having dinner.

After the main course, the dessert arrived – a wonderful green jelly.

Now, as the refrigerator on board was not working properly, the jelly had began to sag and run over the plate.

Melba looked at her dessert and said”

There are two things I like stiff and one of them’s jelly

An LOL if ever there was!

2 comments:

  1. HA! I hadn't heard that one!

    Percy Grainger is someone I've often thought I'd like to learn more about. And if the nude photos (rather fuzzy the ones I've seen) are any indication, quite an entertaining guy, even apart from him music. Hummmm, wonder if he and Melba...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Paul

      it had me seriously chuckling - there's that Rabelaisian thing again!

      just about to put the percy grainger post up - as you say 'quite an entertaining guy'

      Delete